Friday, July 2, 2010

ocean collection



Since having children I can’t tolerate being in small confined spaces, or amongst crowds, or surrounded by trees and bush … I need space, air, and the horizon. I’m not sure why I feel like this, confined spaces were never an issue before I had children. Perhaps I instinctively feel that I can protect my little ones if I have space to see and feel what surrounds me?

That is why I moved away from the bush to live by the ocean. I have space and air and wind and salt and water near me. I can look out at the endless horizon and feel connected to this enormous earth, and imagine what mysterious worlds lie beneath the incredibly vast and endless ocean. It’s where I feel calm and peaceful and free.

In one way being by the ocean is being in a wide open space where I can see the horizon; the curvature of the earth as far as the eye can see. Yet when I look down at my feet there are secret little gardens hidden amongst the rocks, underwater worlds that are unknowable to us, hidden treasures hiding in the seemingly clear and spacious landscape. The boundaries of three worlds - earth, sky and sea.






















































4 comments:

Heather King said...

OMG!!!! Wow, what BEAUTIFUL work!!! So original and perfect!!!! I see mant pieces that I love!!!! Breath taking....

SpiralStone said...

Thanks Heather :). It seems to have taken forever to finally finish these pieces! Just have to price and list them now.

Stacie @ azoho.com said...

Those are some of the gorgeous pieces I have ever seen. Incredible. You have captured the sea in metal & stone.

mywifesstudio said...

Gorgeous pieces!! You have put a lot of thought into these pieces. They are WOW'rs. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.